Friday 22 August 2014

What I Already Know - The Gorringe/Gearing Line

My Grandad, Albert James GORRINGE, died before I was born so I knew little about him. My knowledge was pretty much that he was known as Bert and that he was a bus driver form Brighton. I also have a few photos of him including one in army uniform, which I believe must be from World War Two, as well as his death certificate.

I haven't yet done a lot of research on this line of my family and was hoping that the unusual surname would help.

The lesson learnt so far from this is to not rely on family rumors and stories. I was led to believe that there was a tradition of using the initials AJ for first and middle names. However, this has proved to not be the case, at least not in the direct line. This threw me off a little bit as I was searching for Bert's father to also be Albert James but it turns out he was called Albert Stephen. Fortunately, this wasn't too hard to work out. Once I had the maiden name for Bert's mother (verified with his siblings' birth records) it was simple enough to find the marriage for Albert Stephen GORRINGE and Louisa GEARING. Louisa was know by the family as Loulou and I have since found a photograph of her with her grandchildren. Beyond this I only have names for the next few generations with no further details as yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment