Friday 22 August 2014

What I Already Know - The Hudson/Bostock Line

As far as the BOSTOCKS go (my grandmother's maternal line) it so far seems fairly straight forward. They were mostly miners and lived in the same area of Derbyshire for at least four generations before my Gran. I have been told that one of my 2x Great-Grandmothers (I haven't yet worked out which) in this line was very religious of the Salvation Army persuasion  but otherwise they seem fairly run of the mill.

Then we come to the HUDSONs (my grandmother's paternal line). Family stories dictate gypsy/traveller heritage but while this sounded exciting, I was weary that it could just be fabrication. I had a fair bit of information on my great-grandfather (although there was a mystery as to whether he and my great-grandmother were actually married - more on this in a later post) but then I got stuck when it came to his parents as there didn't seem to be any record of them before they got married. Was this because they really were travellers and therefore hard to track down? Or was it some other reason?

I'm going to post about how this mystery was solved (well, half-solved at the moment as I've found Thomas, my 2x great-grandfather) but evidence is certainly pointing strongly towards the family legend being true and much closer in generations than I thought. I mostly assumed it would be 3 or 4x great-grandparents at least but it turns out that my great-grandfather was essentially a traveller as were the generations before him.

No comments:

Post a Comment